With people constantly on the lookout for simple and quick fixes to update their home décor, the paint industry has skyrocketed. Even though wallpaper is also a great way to change the look of a space, in Australia we’ve long been wary of using it. This is largely because of the perceived difficulty in hanging and then removing it when ready for a change. This has given wallpaper a bad reputation that’s now truly undeserved! Why, we hear you say? Read on to find out why wallpaper is now hotter (and simpler to use) than ever!
1. If a spectacular feature wall (or walls) is on your radar, then wallpaper is a fantastic decorative option! Not only does it come in countless colours, patterns and textures, but modern technology has allowed the production process to incorporate unique factors like velvet flocking, metallic finishes, re-usable backings and photographic images. It can even replicate exposed brick or timber paneling as seen in the image above!
2. A brand new product that’s emerged recently is removable wallpaper. This breakthrough technology allows you to apply wallpaper to a painted wall, and be able to peel off and reuse it on another surface without damaging the paper or the wall to which it was adhered. Removable wallpaper complements an ever-changing décor, and is available in many colours, patterns, textures, and as murals. Suppliers such as The Wallpaper Company specialise in spectacular removable wallpapers. The beauty of removable wallpaper is that it’s virtually commitment free!
3. For those interested in murals (large -scale photographic art), there are wallpaper producers who specialise in papers depicting specific scenes; cityscapes, famous works of art, landscapes, and much more. Some are also able to produce custom murals by special request
4. An alternative to the mural is the wall decal. A decal is an image which is laser cut to shape. It’s placed on any painted wall to create a feature, yet is very easy to remove when you want to change the view. While often used in children’s rooms, decals are not just limited to juvenile designs! They also come in a range of ‘grown up’ styles such as beautiful quotes, filigrees, sunbursts, and even frames.
5. Customising wallpaper to suit your personal preferences is now available through manufacturers such as Signature Prints. During a visit to their factory with The Designer Chicks, we were shown how they create wallpapers by hand from original Florence Broadhurst silk screens. The designs can be reproduced in countless colour combinations and even printed onto metallic papers for added luxe. It proves that traditional wallpaper production methods are still extremely relevant in today’s design market.
6. Worried that you have to use a professional to hang your wallpaper? Manufacturers are catering to our love of everything DIY by producing wallpapers which are so easy to hang that they practically hang themselves. Most wallpapers require dampening to activate their adhesive… much like a postage stamp. Removal is simple with the help of a wallpaper steamer, which re-activates the dried adhesive to help wallpaper peel off the walls without causing any permanent damage or annoying tears in the paper. Or you can always use a professional paper hanger!
Now comes the hard part… choosing your perfect wallpaper from the myriad of options!
If you need a little help choosing the perfect wallpaper for your home (and deciding where to hang it) give Design My Home a call on 0416 190 792 or email email@example.com to book an appointment.